Celebrating Black Deaf Businesses
Black Business Month is an important time to honor the hard work, success, and impact that Black entrepreneurs have had in our community. Originally established in the early 2000s, this month is a time to celebrate and appreciate Black-owned businesses, more specifically, Black-Deaf owned businesses.
Celebrate and Support Black Deaf-Owned Businesses
There are many actions you can take to support Black Deaf-owned businesses. Today, we would like to highlight three:
- Buy from Black Deaf-Owned Businesses
- Be intentional in supporting Black Deaf businesses by choosing them for your shopping needs. You can find a list of businesses on Black Deaf Center’s website: https://www.blackdeafcenter.com
- Show Some Love on Social
- Harness the power of social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and X to showcase and discuss your purchases from Black Deaf businesses. This not only continues to show support beyond a single purchase but also provides invaluable free marketing for these owners. When we spread the word, we generate wider awareness, piquing the interest of potential customers. So head over to your favorite social media platform and post your reviews, follow business accounts, and like and share their content.
- Create Meaningful Relationships
- If you are a business owner, or know someone who is, consider collaborating with Black Deaf entrepreneurs. Collaboration is a powerful tool that brings great ideas to life and opens doors to more opportunities for everyone involved. Let’s work together to build a stronger and more inclusive business community.
We want to emphasize that recognition and support should not only be done during Black Business Month but year-round.
Resources for Black Deaf Entrepreneurs
If you run your own business, here are some resources to share with you.
CSD Social Venture Fund has put together a list of resources including funding opportunities, discounts on technology, educational materials and events. You will find resources for Black entrepreneurs on their resource page.
*Note that this article was published in 2022.
If you’re looking for funding specifically, HubSpot has a list of 37 different funding resources to help you move forward in making your dream not only happen but succeed!
Here’s a list of the different kinds of resources to support your business to be sustainable long-term.
Our Efforts for Black Business Month
Deaf entrepreneurs everywhere are making an impact on the marketplace and serving as positive role models for our communities. By showing our support by amplifying their efforts, purchasing their products, and celebrating their work we can help strengthen and diversify the Deaf ecosystem enabling us all to achieve greater success and understanding.
Visit our social media channels to see our spotlights on Black –Deaf-owned businesses this month and throughout the rest of the year. Be sure to check out those businesses and show your support by giving them a follow, likes, and add to cart!