5 Ways to Support NDEAM
October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month!
NDEAM goes back to 1945, when Congress enacted a law declaring the first week in October of each year as, “National Employ the Physically Handicapped Week.” In 1962, the word “physically” was removed to acknowledge the employment needs and contributions of individuals with all types of disabilities. In 1988, Congress expanded the week to a month and changed the name to National Disability Employment Awareness Month.
How can you support NDEAM?
- Join a CSD Works webinar this month supporting employers who want to hire Deaf and Hard of hearing employees. Register or learn more about the October 22nd session here or the October 24th session here .
- Download our the new e-guide from CSD Works! Good communication with Deaf people includes understanding how to use sign language interpreters – whether that’s on the phone, in-person or over video. Our e-guide, “All About Interpreters” is a great way to learn more about how to best support Deaf employees communication needs in the workplace. Download it here.
- Show employers your #DeafEffect. Check out the NEW Featured Jobs webpage here. Apply for a job, upload your resume, or share with your friends and family who might be interested.
- If you live in Texas, sign up for the Job Club to participate in a free online 6-week training program. Get interview practice, résumé feedback and more in ASL with Deaf professionals. Great for high school seniors or recent college grads! Learn more here.
- Visit our Let Us Work webpage, and share on social media!